RYA Sailing School
Sail Training at Hamble Point Sailing School
What type of training do we offer at Hamble Point Sailing School?
We offer RYA practical sailing courses, theory courses, and other sailing tuition, sailing on one of the comfortable boats from our fleet. Please have a look at our Sailing school website for more details - www.yacht-school.co.uk.
See our current scheduled courses.
We specialise in crafting our training to your needs and offer two distinctly different routes:
- Let us tailor-make your tuition for you. If you have any knowledge gaps, would prefer to carry out your RYA training in a less public environment or would like to train with your own group of friends and family at a time of your choosing, we can address your needs directly with specialised personal coaching. For example, instead of, or in addition to, a standard course you may wish to concentrate on one or more of the following areas:
- Boat Handling
- Mile Building
- Flotilla Training
- Sails and Rig
- Electronic Navigation
- Sailing short/single handed
- We will discuss your objectives with you to ensure that the content and timing of the course fit your requirements. You will book the yacht of your choice from our fleet at the time that you desire and our instructor will join you on board with any other persons with whom you have chosen to sail. The tuition will typically be run for small groups of friends or family who wish to learn together – own boat tuition without the need to own a boat!
- Join one of our scheduled courses with a maximum of five participants run over five days, ensuring space, comfort, time to practice and full attention from the instructor.
Our superb instructors can provide instruction for different RYA qualifications within the same group:
- Maximum of five participants
- Courses run over five days, ensuring space, comfort, time to practice and full attention from the instructor
- Instruction for different RYA qualifications possible within the same group.
Which courses or what type of tuition can we provide?
The following courses can be provided either as Private Sailing Tuition or as a Scheduled Sailing Course:
|RYA and Other Practical Courses||RYA Theory Courses|
RYA qualifications are known and respected the world over. The RYA works constantly to ensure that the highest standards are maintained. We are a fully recognised RYA training centre offering the full range of RYA sail cruising courses.
A legal requirement in most European countries other than the UK providing evidence of your ability to skipper a yacht. Your competence can be tested over a couple of days. Holders of the Day Skipper Practical (tidal) certificate are automatically entitled to apply for an ICC without further assessment.
Including close quarter handling, manoeuvering and mooring in crowded marinas, sail handling.
An ideal one-day skills refresher or pre-cursor to a flotilla holiday.
In addition to the publicised dates, this course can be run on any low season day or any high season mid-week day for a group of 3 or more persons.
A short introduction to sailing for complete beginners.
By the end of the course you will have experienced steering a yacht, sail handling, ropework and be aware of safety on board. Holders of the Start Yachting certificate can go on to complete the Competent Crew course in a reduced time of three days.
Minimum course duration: 2 days
A course for beginners and those who would like to become active crew members rather than just passengers. You are the crew – without you the sails won’t go up and the boat won’t be steered.
By the end of the course you should be a useful crew member, able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day duties on board.
Minimum course duration: 5 days. If you have done the Start Yachting course, this course can be completed in 3 or 4 days.
A course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
Learn to skipper a short passage with the instructor on hand to give advice and encouragement and ensure your safety. Your certificate will be endorsed as having been taken in tidal waters. By the end of the course you should be able to skipper a small yacht in familiar waters by day.
- Pre-course experience: 5 days, 100 miles, 4 night hours on board a sailing yacht
- Minimum course duration: 5 days
- Minimum age: 16
RYA Coastal Skipper Practical
Advanced skippering techniques for yachtsmen and women with considerable knowledge of sailing and navigation, wanting to undertake coastal passages by day and night.
This course consists of skippered passages in a variety of situations. Each trainee will skipper more challenging passages and learn more about passage planning, pilotage by day and night, boat handling, safety and emergency situations. Your certificate will be endorsed as having been taken in tidal waters. By the end of the course you should be able to skipper a yacht on coastal passages by day and night and have the knowledge, if not the experience, to become a Yachtmaster
- Pre-course experience: 15 days, 2 days as skipper, 300 miles, 8 night hours
- Minimum course duration: 5 days
- Minimum age: 17
The Yachtmaster Coastal has the knowledge needed to skipper a yacht on coastal cruises by day and night but does not necessarily have the experience needed to undertake longer passages.
- Pre-course experience: 30 days, 2 as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours (reduced to 20 days, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours if you hold the Coastal Skipper practical course completion certificate).
- Minimum age: 17
The Yachtmaster Offshore is competent to skipper a cruising yacht on any passage during which the yacht is no more than 150 miles from harbour.
Pre-course experience: 50 days, 2,500 miles including at least 5 passages over 60 miles, 2 overnight and 2 as skipper. Minimum age: 18 years
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean – External Oral Examination
A person holding a Yachtmaster Ocean qualification is experienced and competent to skipper a yacht on passages of any length in all parts of the world.
Pre-course experience: Ocean passage as skipper or mate of watch, with minimum non-stop distance of 600 miles, at sea continuously for at least 96 hours, more than 50 miles from land for 200 miles. Must hold a DoT Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate (issued prior to 1973) or a RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence.